Condition based Maintenance of complex systems
Complex industrial assets such as bridges, power transformers etc. are subject to complex deterioration processes. Understanding such complexities, and maintaining such assets is a major challenge.
This research aims to design a novel approaches for optimizing condition-based maintenance policies for assets with complex deterioration processes. These policies aim to optimise the inspection and replacement plans for such assets and their constituent components so as to minimise the costs and risks involved, while maintaining performance.
We have examined a number of complex deterioration processes, e.g.,
- The state of one component affects the performance of other assets in the system.
- The state and rate of deterioration of one component affects the rate of deterioration of other components in the asset.
- Malfunction of one component damages other components in the asset, thereby accelerating the deterioration of the asset (also known as 'fault propagation').
- Systems subject to aging and cumulative damage
- Industrial cold box unit in a petrochemical plant
- Fault propagation in power transformers
- Asphalt plug joint in bridges
- Zhenglin Liang
- Nipat Rasmekomen
- Ajith Parlikad
- Khashayar Mahani (Rutgers)
- Bin Liu (City University of Hong Kong)
- National Grid
- State Grid Corporation of China
- PTT (Funder)
- Hertfordshire County Council
- City University of Hong Kong
- Rutgers University
- Liang, Z., Liu, B., Xie, M., Parlikad, A.K., “Condition-based Maintenance for Long-Life Assets with Exposure to Operational and Environmental Risks,”
International Journal of Production Economics, 2019
- Mahani, K., Liang, Z., Jafari, M., Parlikad, A.K., “Joint optimization of operation and maintenance policies for solar-powered Microgrids,”
IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Volume 10, Issue 2, pp 833-842, 2019.
- Liang, Z., Parlikad, A.K., “A Markovian Model for Power Transformer Maintenance,” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Volume 99, pp 175-182, 2018.
- Liu, B., Liang, Z., Parlikad, A.K., Xie, M., Kuo, W., “Condition-based maintenance for systems with aging and cumulative damage based on proportional hazards model,” Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Volume 168, pp 200-209, 2017.
- Liang, Z., Rasmekomen, N., Srinivasan, R., Parlikad, A.K., “On fault propagation in deterioration of multi-component systems,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Volume 162, pp. 72-80, 2017.
- Rasmekomen, N., Parlikad A.K., "Condition-Based Maintenance of Multi-Component Systems with State-Rate Degradation Interactions" Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Volume 148, pp. 1-10, 2016.
- Liang, Z., Parlikad, A.K., “A condition-based maintenance model for assets with accelerated deterioration due to fault propagation”, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Volume 64, Issue 3, pp 972-982, 2015.
- Liang, Z., Parlikad, A.K., “A tiered modelling approach for condition based maintenance of industrial assets with load sharing interaction and fault propagation,” IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, Volume 26, Issue 2, pp. 125-144, 2015.
- Rasmekomen, N., Parlikad, A.K., “Maintenance optimization for asset systems with dependent Performance degradation,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Volume 62, Issue 2, pp. 362-367, 2013.